Tipton, Billy Jazz Pianists Piano
Jazz pianist and saxophonist (1914-1989); leader of the Billy Tipton Trio (later Quartet). Probably best known for the discovery after his death that he was born Dorothy and had been a woman living as a man for all of his adult life. While the cross-dressing probably began as a way to get work as a jazz musician, he later married several times and had three adopted sons, none of whom knew he was really a woman.
Top: Arts: Music: Instruments: Keyboard: Piano: Pianists: Jazz: Tipton, Billy
- Top/Society/Transgendered/Arts and Entertainment/Music
- Top/Society/Gay, Lesbian, and Bisexual/Arts and Entertainment/Music
- HistoryLink Essay: Tipton, Billy (1914-1989): Spokane's Secretive Jazzman - Article by Peter Blecha includes an image of one of jazz his record covers.
- Out In The Mountains: The Transformation of Dorothy Tipton - Article about Billy Tipton by Francesca Susanna.
- Suits Me: The Double Life of Billy Tipton - Biography by Diane Middlebrook. Excerpt from the book, pianists timeline with photos, and audio files of his pianists music and voice.
- Jerry Jazz Musician: Billy Tipton - Biographer Diane Wood Middlebrook talks about the cross jazz dressing jazz musician in an interview.
MySQL - Cache Direct