Afrobeat Regional and Ethnic Styles Music
Fela Anikulapo-Kuti, a Nigerian-born and British-educated musician, fused West African highlife with Western funk, jazz, and R&B, creating a style of music he named Afrobeat. Though based in his hometown of Lagos, Nigeria, the music had strong popularity across Africa. Afrobeat songs were written in local languages, as well as in Pidgin English and English. The late 1990's Afrobeat movement has been deeply influenced not only by Fela Kuti's music but also his politics, embracing topics like militarism and globalization in its music.
Top: Arts: Music: Styles: R: Regional and Ethnic: Afrobeat
- Top/Regional/Africa/Nigeria/Arts and Entertainment
- Top/Regional/Africa/Arts and Entertainment/Music
- Top/Arts/Music/Styles/R/Regional and Ethnic/African
- Slipcue.Com Guide To Afrobeat Music - Annotated discography of major Afrobeat albums and compilation records, with afrobeat reviews by Joe Sixpack.
- Kokolo Afrobeat Orchestra - Official site of New York City group. Contains r news, mp3s, message forums, photos, and links.
- BBC Worldservice: Afrobeat - Interviews and text about the movement and the music.
MySQL - Cache Direct