1998 News and Media Open Directory Project Directories
Matthew Broersma discusses the acquisition and compares the scalability of NewHoo’s volunteer community to Yahoo’s paid staff powered directory.
Top: Computers: Internet: Searching: Directories: Open Directory Project: News and Media: 1998
- News.com: Netscape Buys Freeware Directory - Jim Hu and Jeff Pelline discuss Netscape’s acquisition of NewHoo and the strategy behind the purchase.
- Grohol.com: The Future of Online Directories? - Article discussing the history and future of ODP. Briefly mentions AOL’s acquisition of Netscape.
- Wired: The Distributed Yahoo: 'NewHoo' - Chris Oakes reviews the early days of NewHoo 1998 and compares it with competitors Yahoo and Mining 1998 Company.
- ZDNet: Open Source Gathering Steam - Discusses both Netscape and IBM releasing source code news and media 1998 for their Gecko browser and Jikes Java compiler news and media 1998 respectively. Netscape’s acquisition of NewHoo is mentioned along news and media 1998 with their plans to rename it Open Directory news and media 1998 Project.
- Dmoz.org: An announcement from the founders of NewHoo - Rich Skrenta and Bob Truel announce NewHoo joining Netscape and becoming the Netscape Open Directory.
- SearchEngineWatch.com: NewHoo: Yahoo Built By The Masses - Danny Sullivan discusses the launch of NewHoo and explains the open directory project volunteer editor basis of the directory.
- Denounce: Netscape Acquires NewHoo! Community Directory Project for $40.05 Billion - A satirical look at the news, with a 1998 large element 1998 of fiction.
- SearchEngineWatch.com: NewHoo Becomes Netscape Open Directory - Danny Sullivan discusses Netscape’s purchase of NewHoo and provides comparisons to the Yahoo Directory.
- Wired: NewHoo's New Home - Netscape purchases NewHoo and renames the service Netscape 1998 Open Directory.
- Slashdot: The GnuHoo BooBoo - Matthew Miller voices his concerns over GnuHoo using GNU as 1998 part of the directory name. GnuHoo changes its name to 1998 NewHoo.
- Slashdot - Netscape buys NewHoo.
- Wired: Netscape Acquires NewHoo - Article discusses the Netscape purchase of NewHoo and 1998 the reaction open directory project from volunteer editors.
- ZDNet: Netscape Acquires NewHoo - Matthew Broersma discusses the acquisition and compares the scalability of NewHoo’s volunteer community to Yahoo’s paid staff powered directory.
MySQL - Cache Direct