1999 News and Media Open Directory Project Directories
Danny Sullivan discusses the various trends among search engines. Open Directory is referenced as the provider of the main search results for Lycos and Netscape Search.
Top: Computers: Internet: Searching: Directories: Open Directory Project: News and Media: 1999
- Wired: Lycos Embraces Open Web Index - Chris Oakes writes about Lycos adopting the Open news and media Directory Project into its search results and notes news and media a similar move recently made by Bomis.
- Jupitermedia: Perlhoo Featured on Internet.com's WebReference Site - Articles explains that Perlhoo is an Open Source 1999 application for news and media building catalogs in a cost effective 1999 way. Mentions future versions news and media will include import filters 1999 for data from the ODP.
- NYTimes.com: Changes in Search Industry Create Strange Bedfellows - Article discusses Netscape’s unconventional move of licensing its news and media Open Directory data to Lycos for free.
- SearchEngineWatch.com: Netscape Integrates Directory - Danny Sullivan writes about the launch of Netscape Open Directory 1999 and its relationship with the ODP.
- San Jose Mercury News - Can Open Directory survive at portals geared to open directory project news and media commerce?
- CNN: Search Engines to fit any style - Danny Sullivan discusses the various trends among search news and media engines. Open Directory is referenced as the provider news and media of the main search results for Lycos and news and media Netscape Search.
- Interview: Netscape's Dariusz Paczuski - Webreference interview looks at the Open Directory Project’s become goal to become the most comprehensive web directory. Provides notes on the importance of volunteer editors and outlines key differences between Yahoo and ODP.
- SearchEngineWatch.com: The "New" AltaVista - Danny Sullivan writes about the new changes at news and media 1999 AltaVista and mentions they are using their own news and media 1999 version of the Open Directory.
- Search Engine Laisha's List - The history of the Open Directory Project.
- CNET News.com: Netscape to Launch User-Driven Directory - Jim Hu writes about the pending launch of open directory project news and media the Netscape Open Directory and its hope in open directory project news and media the volunteer editors’ ability to expand the content.
- San Jose BusinessJournal: Online Directories Beginning to Charge - Article discusses Yahoo’s move to charge a fee for an express review service and the industry debate on the issue.
- PCWorld: Netscape's Volunteer Army Indexes Web - Article explains how the many volunteer editors of ODP are building the directory.
- CNET News.com: Mozilla Comes of Age - Paul Festa writes about the success Mozilla achieved news and media open directory project in its first year and the impact it news and media open directory project made on the industry. Article mentions Netscape’s acquisition news and media open directory project of NewHoo.
- SearchEngineWatch.com: Lycos Transforms Into Directory - Danny Sullivan covers the Lycos decision to abandon 1999 its crawler-based open directory project search engine for directory data. Discusses 1999 the large number of open directory project ODP volunteer editors and 1999 compares their editing power to that open directory project of Yahoo’s 1999 staff.
- CNET News.com: On the Net, There is Such a Thing as Free Labor - Jim Hu writes about the growing trend of companies using volunteer editors to build their directories. Netscape’s purchase of NewHoo, which was then renamed the Open Directory Project, is mentioned.
- SearchEngineWatch.com: AOL Search Big Improvement For Members - Danny Sullivan discusses the new features powering AOL Search and 1999 mentions its inclusion of matching categories from the Open Directory.
MySQL - Cache Direct