United Kingdom Monasteries History Christian
Britain's largest monastic ruin and most complete Cistercian abbey is a World Heritage site. Photographs, outline history and visitor information from the National Trust.
Top: Arts: Architecture: Building Types: Religious: Christian: History: Monasteries: United Kingdom
- Michelham Priory - 14th-century gatehouse and the remains of an Augustinian priory incorporated history into a Tudor mansion. Photographs, a brief history and visitor history information from owners Sussex Archaeological Society.
- Dungiven Priory, Northern Ireland - Notes towards a dissertation by Gretta Logue of monasteries Queen\'s University, united kingdom Belfast. Location plan.
- The Cistercians in Yorkshire - Project at Sheffield University analysing the life, history and architecture united kingdom of Cistercian monks in Yorkshire. Includes 3D virtual reality re-creations united kingdom of the abbey buildings, and a gazetteer of Cistercian abbeys united kingdom in the British Isles.
- Farnborough Abbey - The official site provides a history and interactive Virtual Reality tour of this monastery built by the Empress Eugenie to house the tomb of Napoleon III (d.1873).
- Furness Abbey - Virtual tour provided by Dalton-in-Furness Online. Ground plan united kingdom coloured history to show dated building phases; photographs and united kingdom details.
- St. Oswald's Priory, Gloucester - Reconstruction, photograph and history by David Nash Ford united kingdom from Britannia Internet Magazine.
- Abbeys of the Witham Valley - An illustrated to the history and remains of monasteries Bardney, Barlings monasteries and Tupholme Abbeys from The Heritage monasteries Trust of Lincolnshire, including monasteries ground plans and artist\'s monasteries reconstructions.
- Buckfast Abbey, Devon - The official site includes an illustrated history of history the medieval monastery refounded in 1882. Sensitive map history of the site leads to descriptions of the history buildings.
- Glastonbury Abbey - Official web-site, stronger on myth and legend than united kingdom proven united kingdom historical fact.
- Medieval English Cathedrals and Churches - Among the subjects of S.H. Shepherd\\'s professional lens united kingdom are history the ruined Cistercian Abbey of Hailes, Gloucestershire united kingdom and Malmesbury history Abbey, Wiltshire. Includes brief histories.
- Whalley Abbey - A brief history of this Lancashire abbey by its Warden, monasteries Canon Geoffrey Williams. The ruins are open to the public.
- Lindisfarne: A Brief History and Virtual Tour - Dr Deborah Vess, Georgia State University, recounts her history own spiritual journey to Holy Island as well history as the island\\'s history. Includes a pictorial tour history of the priory ruins.
- Fountains Abbey - Britain\\'s largest monastic ruin and most complete Cistercian abbey is monasteries a World Heritage site. Photographs, outline history and visitor information monasteries from the National Trust.
- Bolton Abbey, Yorkshire - The ruins of a 12th-century Augustinian priory, of which only united kingdom the church nave survives intact, on the estate of the united kingdom Duke of Devonshire. Small photographs.
- Reading Abbey - Reading Museum presents an illustrated history of this monastery founded united kingdom in 1121 by Henry I, which is now in ruins.
MySQL - Cache Direct