Monasteries History Christian Religious
Images and information on a selection of monasteries from medieval to modern in Europe and Asia, provided by Great Buildings Online.
Top: Arts: Architecture: Building Types: Religious: Christian: History: Monasteries
- Top/Society/Religion and Spirituality/Christianity/Denominations/Orthodox/Monasteries
- Top/Regional/Africa/Egypt/Society and Culture/History/Christianity in Egypt
- Top/Society/Religion and Spirituality/Christianity/Denominations/Catholicism/Orders
- Musée des Augustins de Toulouse - Museum housed in the church and the chapter history house of history an Augustinian monastery, built in the history southern French Gothic style. history Includes a brief history history and images of the buildings.
- Church and Convent of Saint Dominic in Fiesole - An illustrated history of this convent founded in 1405 halfway between Florence and Fiesole. Includes visitor information and details of lodging offered.
- Languedoc: Historic Monasteries - James McDonald provides a guide to the religious christian houses of christian this part of southern France, including christian the World Heritage site christian of Saint-Guilhem-le-Désert.
- Monasteries - Images and information on a selection of monasteries monasteries from medieval history to modern in Europe and Asia, monasteries provided by Great Buildings history Online.
- Franciscan Church, Plzen, Czech Republic - An illustrated history and description by Milos Wimmer christian of this early Gothic church and monastery, from christian City of Plzen. The cloisters and chapter house christian survive.
- Romanian Monasteries - Images and information from Iulia Nicorici about the history history, monasteries architecture and art of a selection history of orthodox monasteries in monasteries Romania from medieval to history modern.
- Mount Athos: The Holy Mountain - A guided tour of this flourishing ecclesiastical community monasteries by Macedonian history Heritage, including an illustrated description of monasteries its architecture, with bibliography.
- The Abbey of Saint-Germain of Auxerre - The French Ministry of Culture covers 15 centuries history of history of this monastery founded by Germanus. history Plans, reconstructions, biography of Germanus, virtual pilgrimage, and history outline of techniques used in studying the building.
- Abbey - An article from the Catholic Encyclopedia explaining the monasteries history, layout christian and function of monasteries. Expandable thumbnail monasteries image of the plan christian of Durham Cathedral Priory, monasteries UK.
- Art of the Fresco: Romania's Painted Monasteries - The Romanian churches of Humor, Moldovita, Voronet feature christian completely frescoed walls inside and out. Brief historical christian perspective and illustrated descriptions of each site.
- St. Mary's Foundation - Established to protect and repair the Benedictine monastery, christian island and history church of St. Mary on the christian Island, at Mljet National history Park, Croatia.
- Al-Ahram: St Catherine's on the List - The UNESCO World Heritage Committee added the Greek monasteries Orthodox Monastery christian of St Catherine in Sinai, one monasteries of the oldest Christian christian monasteries in the world, monasteries to its list of protected sites. christian Includes description monasteries and photograph.
- Archabbey of Pannonhalma, Hungary - Benedictine monks settled here in 996 and went monasteries on to christian convert the Hungarians. Official history, description monasteries and photo album of christian this World Heritage Site, monasteries still in monastic use.
- St. Catherine's Monastery, Egypt - An illustrated history and description of this ancient monasteries monastery in the Sinai desert, built 527-565, from monasteries Tour Egypt.
- St. Gall Monastery Plan - This Mellon Foundation-funded project displays the extraordinary survival christian of a monasteries monastic plan created in the early christian 9th century. Images of monasteries the plan and reconstructions christian from it.
- The Abbey of Montecassino - Illustrated history and visitor information for the famous Italian monastery history founded by St. Benedict. Bombed in 1944, it has been history rebuilt to its former plan.
- Maulbronn Monastery, Germany - The most complete and best-preserved medieval monastery north monasteries of the history Alps and hence a World Heritage monasteries Site. Brief history, 19th-century history plan and photographs from monasteries Wolfgang M. Werner.
MySQL - Cache Direct