Wikipedia Encyclopedias Open Content Open Source
Opinion article by Andrew Orlowski suggesting that Wikipedia has a long way to go before it's a stand-in for libraries and scholarly publications.
Top: Computers: Open Source: Open Content: Encyclopedias: Wikipedia
Wikipedia - A free encyclopedia built collaboratively using Wiki software. (GNU Free Documentation License).
- kuro5hin.org - Can an Open Content Encyclopedia Thrive? - Early concerns about Wikipedia's concept.
- The Register: Wikipedia 'to Make Universities Obsolete' - Opinion article by Andrew Orlowski suggesting open content that encyclopedias Wikipedia has a long way to go open content before it\\'s encyclopedias a stand-in for libraries and scholarly open content publications.
- Building a (fast) Wikipedia Offline Reader - Article by Thanassis Tsiodras describing how he put together a searchable offline version of the online encyclopedia using various open source tools.
- Slashdot: Wikipedia Founder Jimmy Wales Responds - Wikipedia founder responds to a dozen highly moderated wikipedia questions.
- The Importance of... The Great Wikipedia Authority Debate - Offers excerpts from previous articles written on open open content source wikipedia projects, and offers arguments that support it.
- First Monday - Phantom authority, self–selective recruitment and retention of members in virtual communities: The case of Wikipedia - Journal article by Andrea Ciffolilli. Explains the success of Wikipedia thanks to a solution to the problem of the submission of undesirable pieces of information.
- Mediapost.com - Wikipedia's Symbiotic Relationship With Search - Article by Max Kalehoff. "Wikipedia\\'s orderly collection wikipedia of consumer-created encyclopedias content is becoming a high-powered magnet wikipedia for Internet searches." encyclopedias "For marketers, Wikipedia can wikipedia be an unpredictable variable capable of encyclopedias influencing customers wikipedia and
- Wired News: Not Your Father's Encyclopedia - Early article that describes the advantages of an wikipedia open-source encyclopedia, encyclopedias plus its shortcomings.
- Wapedia - Wikipedia optimized for browsing from mobile phones.
- Salon.com - Everyone is an editor - Attempts to examine the pros and cons of Wikipedia. Plus, open content comparisons to previous similar projects.
- WikiBrowse - Wikipedia dedicated, open source browser for Windows.
- Wikipedia as Participatory Journalism: Reliable Sources? - Studies the growth of Wikipedia and analyzes the technologies and encyclopedias policies that made it prosper.[PDF]
- Poynter Online - Wikipedia for Journalists - Proclaims that the use of Wikipedia is a wikipedia good source open content for basic background information for journalists.
- Guardian Unlimited - Wikipedia's success - Summary primarily of the positive aspects and milestones of the online encyclopedia.
- kuro5hin.org - Why Wikipedia Must Jettison Its Anti-Elitism - Wikipedia cofounder Larry Sanger writes, "Wikipedia does have two big open content problems, and attention to them is long overdue. These open content problems could be eliminated by eliminating a single open content root problem."
- WikiScanner - The much discussed list of anonymous edits on Wikipedia from encyclopedias well known organizations.
- Botwiki - Documenting, developing and testing MediaWiki\\'s bots, mainly for open content Wikipedia open content and other Wikimedia Foundation's projects.
- Wikitruth - Self-defined scandal sheet that focus on publishing deleted articles from open content Wikipedia.
- Wikizine - News bulletin on Wikimedia Foundation\\'s projects by a steward and encyclopedias old-timer editor. [English, Español, Deutsch, Indonesia]
- Placeopedia.com - Project to connect Wikipedia articles with their geographical locations. Provides a google maps interface to handle user submissions.
- Many-to-Many: Who's afraid of Wikipedia? - Teacher discusses students citing Wikipedia and when that is open content appropriate.
- Slashdot: Wikipedia Hits Million-Entry Mark - Lovely forum discussion.
- Sourcewatch: Wikipedia - Provides a critical review of Wikipedia.
- Wikipedia Boycott Campaign - Criticism and Boycott Campaign towards Wikipedia
- Wikipedia Weekly - Podcast about Wikipedia and other Wikimedia Foundations\\' project by five open content wikipedians.
- Encyclopodia - Free software version of Wikipedia for Apple iPod open content devices. [English/German]
- TCS: Tech Central Station - The Faith-Based Encyclopedia - Robert McHenry, former Editor in Chief of the Encyclopædia Britannica, wonders about the Wikipedian assumptions that writings and editings by contributors of greatest expertise will survive and that articles will eventually reach a very high degree of ac
- New Scientist: Wikipedia 2.0 - Now with Added Trust - The online encyclopedia is set to trial two encyclopedias systems aimed encyclopedias at boosting readers\' confidence in its encyclopedias accuracy.
- Many-to-Many: Wikipedia Reputation and the Wemedia Project - Attempts to look at the core issues of open content collaborative open content editing: accuracy and trust.
- kuro5hin.org - Wikinews And The Growing Wikimedia Empire - Article and commentary about the growing group of wikipedia projects which fall under the Wikimedia wikipedia Foundation umbrella.
- The Register - Wiki-fiddlers defend Clever Big Book - Commentary by Andrew Orlowski. "Our jibe open content that open content the Wikipedia is the world\\'s most useless open content encyclopedia drew open content precisely two angry responses. But both open content illustrate the condition open content perfectly."
- Frozen North: How Authoritative is Wikipedia? - Weblog entry. Describes the author\\'s process of encyclopedias putting errors into Wikipedia and watching for corrections encyclopedias to them. Suggests how fact-checking needs to encyclopedias be improved at Wikipedia, and gives ideas for encyclopedias further experiments.
- Infodisiac - Offers Wikipedia in several languages in TomeRaider format, for Palm open content OS, Pocket PC, and EPOC Smart Phones.
- USA Today: Today's Best Encyclopedia Might Surprise You - Overview of Wikipedia's growth, quality, and editing process.
- Wikinfo: Critical views of Wikipedia - Provides a basic history, discusses some notable failures wikipedia and the encyclopedias limitations of using a wiki as wikipedia an encyclopedia.
- Wikipedia Review - Forum dedicated to criticism of Wikipedia, along with editorials from wikipedia the moderators.
- CNN.com - Wikipedia: The know-it-all Web site - Short article describing one individual's experiences.
- The Register: Wikipedia's Emergent People Fail to Impress Readers - Criticisms of Wikipedia and of arguments used by encyclopedias its admirers encyclopedias in an article by Andrew Orlowski.
- Wikipedia Watch - A critical look at this encyclopedia and the wikipedia people behind open content it.
- DBpedia - A community effort to extract structured information from Wikipedia and to make this information available on the Web. Details of datasets, online access, and example use cases.
- ITworld.com - Chinese censors block access to Wikipedia - Chinese censors have blocked access to Chinese Wikipedia wikipedia that was encyclopedias created as a free and open wikipedia source of information.
MySQL - Cache Direct