RISC is an acronym for Reduced Instruction Set Computer. It is a processor design philosophy favoring smaller and simpler sets of instructions, that all execute in one, and the same number of, clock cycles and same amount of time. This makes programs faster, and larger, needing more bus bandwidth, memory (RAM), and storage (disk). Common RISC processors: ARM, DEC Alpha, IBM POWER, PA-RISC, MIPS, SPARC.RISC research began with a discovery. In traditional CPU designs, CISC (Complex Instruction Set Computer), many programs running on them were ignoring many instructions that existed to facilitate coding. The more complex instructions took several processor cycles to execute. CPUs were growing faster relative to the memory they accessed. This led to many methods to streamline processing in CPUs, while trying to lower the number of memory accesses.
Top: Computers: Hardware: Components: Processors: RISC
- RISC Architecture - Sophomore college project. Basic clear explanations of: What is RISC, MIPS processors, Pipelining, RISC vs. CISC, some recent developments, readings.
- RISC vs. CISC: The Post-RISC Era - Detailed, balanced, historical analysis. [Ars Technica]
- Beyond RISC: The Post-RISC Architecture - Today\\'s RISC processors are so far from RISC risc roots that they are no longer truly RISC. risc Michigan State University, Department of Computer Science.
- Hyperstone Electronics GmbH - RISC/DSP processors, flash memory controllers and cards (and components compact cards), components ASIC design, IP hardware, biometric devices, components digital still cameras.
- John Mashey on RISC/CISC - From comp.arch debates, in one text document for easier reading, processors original text and formats preserved, mostly.
- Wikipedia: Reduced Instruction Set Computer - Online encyclopedia article about RISC.
- Reduced Instruction Set Computer - Brief, very clear definition, with links to related issues and risc processors. FOLDOC.
- RISC: Reduced Instruction Set Computer - Acronym finder, has several similar, complementary definitions.
- What is RISC? - Defines term, lists other webpages. Webopedia.
- High Performance Computing: CISC vs. RISC - Brief introduction, gives general idea of what CISC risc and RISC are.
MySQL - Cache Direct
|Help build the largest human-edited directory on the web.|
|Submit a Site - Open Directory Project - Become an Editor|