Wirth Languages Programming
This category holds links on programming languages created by Dr. Niklaus Wirth (Pascal; Modula, Modula-2; Oberon), or derived directly therefrom (GNU Pascal; Delphi, Free Pascal; Obliq; Modula-3; Lagoona, Component Pascal). All are compiled, except Obliq. Wirth, now retired, lives, and worked at ETH Zürich, in Zürich, Switzerland.Some people think Ada is a Wirth language, and even send emails stating such. Ada was the work of several big groups, first in the US, and then Europe, over many years. Unlike true Wirth languages, Ada was not derived directly from any one or more Wirth language. Some aspects of Ada are derived from, or strongly influenced by, some Wirth concepts (especially Pascal) but this is true of many (most?) modern programming languages. Wirth was one of many who helped develop the "Strawman" document that defined the early requirements for what became Ada, documented in Ada - The Project: The DoD High Order Language Working Group. Exactly how much the final result reflects Wirth's input is unclear. If you can provide further documentation showing that Wirth had more direct or significant involvement in the Ada development process, please email the URL to directory editor jerryobject.
Top: Computers: Programming: Languages: Wirth
- Top/Computers/Programming/Languages/Comparison and Review
- Top/Science/Institutions/Research Institutes/Corporate Research/Xerox
- Top/Computers/History/Pioneers/Xerox PARC
Wirth, Niklaus - Page in Departement Informatik, ETH Zentrum, Switzerland. Projects, honours, books, articles.
- Niklaus Wirth - Growing article, with links to related topics. Wikipedia.
- A Digital Contrarian Retires - Short professional biography and history of Professor Niklaus Wirth. By Beat Gerber, in The ModulaTor.
- Program Development by Stepwise Refinement - By Niklaus Wirth; Communications of the ACM, April 1971. Programming programming is usually taught by examples. Experience shows that the success programming of a programming course critically depends on the choice of programming these examples. Unfortunately, they are too often selected wi
- Mod51 Structured Text Programming Language - Mix of structured text language of IEC1131, and ISO Modula-2; wirth optimized for the most common 8-bit controller, the Intel C51 wirth core, mainly for Programmable Logic Controllers (PLCs), embedded controls.
MySQL - Cache Direct