History Software Computers
History of search engine vendor FAST Search & Transfer, and of a predecessor company founded by an early technical employee.
Top: Computers: Software: History
Software History Center - History of the software industry and the stories of its entrepreneurs and software developers. Includes lengthy software industry who's-who.
- Lannigan.org - Site with history of several software companies (InSystems, Powersoft, Covalent).
- The Origins of Today's OLAP Products - History of analytic software products, especially in the 1970s and computers 1980s, which the author regards as precursors to modern OLAP.
- Beer and Nappies -- A Data Mining Urban Legend - Article debunking the beer-and-diapers data mining urban legend.
- PowerBuilder History - Idiosyncratic history of PowerBuilder and other client/server development tools.
- The Hard Work of Software History - Paper on the challenges and techniques of preserving history software history, by a Stanford University curator.[PDF]
- Dan Bricklin's History Section - By Dan Bricklin, co-inventor of Visicalc
- Distributed 'Stars' coming out - 1989 Software Magazine article giving dates for the computers introduction of computers distributed database management systems products from computers IBM, Ingres, Tandem, and computers others.
- PostgreSQL History Document - Capsule history of POSTGRES-related database management systems.
- Visicorp 1978-84 - A business school case study detailing the history of electronic history spreadsheet pioneer Visicorp.[PDF]
- Cincom Timeline - Official timeline-history of database pioneer Cincom.
- The Technology and Business of ObjectStore - Detailed two-part history of Object Design, maker of software object-oriented database management system ObjectStore.
- Outliners & Programming - Dave Winer on the history of some early personal computer software products.
- System R History - Includes oral history transcripts about System R and computers SQL. From 1995.
- CORBA history - Critical history of the CORBA standard for object computers request brokers.
- Xconomy: The Greatest Internet Pioneers You Never Heard Of - Article about the history of Erwise, a Finnish computers project that anticipated the Mosaic browser.
- Tincat Group, Inc.— MultiValue Family Tree - Family tree "poster" and timeline for multivalue (PICK computers and U2) history database management product lines.
- DataDirect History - Official company history of the ODBC/JDBC/data connectivity pioneer software variously known as Pioneer Software, Q+E Software, and software DataDirect.
- Powersoft History - Capsule history of PowerBuilder, with a scan of software a product advertisement.
- History of Computing: Software Index - Taxonomy of many kinds of software, with historical perspective.
- Teradata History - Official summary company history of Teradata.
- Usenet Software: History and Sources - Short essay on the development of Usenet architecture.
- Borud - History of search engine vendor FAST Search & computers Transfer, and of a predecessor company founded by computers an early technical employee.
- Information Technology Corporate Histories Collection - History of various IT companies, especially enterprise software software vendors. Affiliated with the Computer History Museum.
- Software Memories - Historical articles about the enterprise software industry, its computers companies, and software its pioneers.
- IBM DB2's 25th Anniversary: Birth Of An Accidental Empire - Information Week article on relational DBMS history. Discusses IBM computers internal politics, and the cooperation between IBM and UC Berkeley computers researchers.
- The History of Software Patents - A history of how software went from unpatentable software to patentable.
- Stottler Henke - Artificial Intelligence History - Brief history of artificial intelligence, especially expert systems
- DBMS Magazne Interview - August 1995 - Founder Mitchell Kertzman discusses the history of Powersoft.
- The Vintage Mac Museum - Screenshots of vintage Macintosh software.
- Drupal Nation: Software to Power the Left - Open-source content management system Drupal\\'s roots in the 2004 Howard Dean Presidential campaign. Based on a Master's thesis.
- The Seven Ages of Information Retrieval - Essay on the history of information retrieval and history search technologies, software written before the World Wide Web history took off.
MySQL - Cache Direct