Open Standards Data Formats Computers
Advocates against the use of image formats that are protected by patents. Presents a brief history of the GIF format as well as its open alternatives.
Top: Computers: Data Formats: Open Standards
- Top/Society/Issues/Intellectual Property/Patents
- Top/Computers/Open Source/Advocacy
- Avoid E-Mail Attachments, Especially Microsoft Word - Short document with instructions to MS-Word users on alternatives they can use for document exchange.
- Open Standards - The Only Option - Internet technologies and the economical challenge of open computers protocols.
- Burn All GIFs - Campaign for replacing the (formerly) patent-encumbered GIF format open standards by computers open standard graphics. Since the GIF formats open standards has become computers patent-free, the site advocates against software open standards patents.
- No Proprietary Binary Data Formats - Why not use proprietary formats and what are data formats the main open alternatives.
- Why Not Word! - Why not using Word, Excel or any other proprietary format data formats to communicate.
- Open Design Alliance - An association of CAD customers and vendors committed to promoting data formats open, industry-standard formats for the exchange of CAD data. History, data formats members, FAQs, and published papers.
- Business Case for Open Standards - Paper investigating economical issues related to the diffusion data formats of data formats public standards.
- Build Systems, Not Companies, on Open Standards - Without standards, every job is a one-off, and open standards vendor data formats lock-in is assured after the first project. open standards Open standards data formats are the beating heart of open standards e-Business, without which data formats concepts like intranets and business-to-business open standards commerce would not be data formats practical on a mass
- W3C Patent Policy - Governs the handling of patents in the process data formats of computers producing Web standards. The goal of this data formats policy is computers to assure that Recommendations produced under data formats this policy can computers be implemented on a Royalty-Free data formats (RF) basis.
- Document Freedom Day - Aims to educate the public about the importance of Free Document Formats and Open Standards in general. Coordinates activities that happen on last Wednesday of March, celebrated as the Document Freedom Day.
- We Can Put an End to Word Attachments - Richard Stallman\\'s arguments against the use of proprietary formats in computers document exchange.
- Open Standards - What is a standard, what is an open standard, and why use open standards on the Internet.
- Open Data Format Initiative - Initiative aiming to convince software companies to release open standards data computers format documentation and to pass laws open standards that governments computers can only store user data in open standards open format. Presents computers its manifesto, forum, news, links open standards to institutional resolutions.
- OpenStandards.net - A not-for-profit organization connecting people to open standards open standards and the bodies that build and foster their open standards growth.
- Open Standards: Principles and Practice - Illustrates the principles behind format standardization and the practice of promoting formats interoperability.
- Linux Standard Base - The goal of the Linux Standard Base (LSB) is to data formats develop and promote a set of data formats standards that will increase compatibility among Linux data formats distributions and enable software applications to run on any data formats compliant Linux system.
- MS-Word Is Not a Document Exchange Format - Explains the appropriate use of document formats and argues against the use of Word attachments.
- LinuxLab - Open Standards - Argues in favor of patent-free standards and suggests recommended formats open standards for different kinds of content.
- Cover Pages: Patents and Open Standards - Investigates the effects of patent proliferation and criticizes reasonable and non-discriminatory license terms (RAND) for patented technologies.
- Openformats.org - Collaborative documentation projects on why use public standards and open data formats formats and why avoid proprietary formats in data exchange.
- Open Standards Repository - Archive of standards relevant to the Open Source community, including open standards licenses, public standards, protocols, RFCs.
- Attachments in Proprietary Formats Considered Harmful - Explains the risks of exchanging data in non-public open standards format and suggests the main alternatives.
- Streaming media: A case for open standards - Benefits of the development of open specifications for audio and open standards video formats. By Rich Mavrogeanes.
- Sincere Choice - Intercommunication and file formats should follow standards that data formats are sincerely open for all to implement, without data formats royalty fees or discrimination.
- Please don't send me Microsoft Word documents - A discussion of the problems of MSWord as a document data formats exchange format and what alternatives are available. Suitable for a data formats non-technical audience.
- Why There Are Not GIF Files on GNU Pages - Advocates against the use of image formats that data formats are data formats protected by patents. Presents a brief history data formats of the data formats GIF format as well as its data formats open alternatives.
- The Principles of Open Standards - Ken Krechmer analyzes the distinct issues behind advocacy data formats for open standards non-proprietary formats.
- Open Media Now! Foundation - Supports free ways to create, to distribute and computers display digital content by actively developing cross-platform solutions, computers such as Gnash.
- Open Source versus Open Standards - Draws a distinction between open source advocacies and computers the promotion of public standards, warning against the computers confusion of these two initiatives.
- Content Management and Edit Data Exchange - Article on formats interoperability in audio and video content.
- Software versus Protocol (or file format) Standards - Essay by Erik Fair explaining how open standards data formats may open standards help mitigate or prevent "customer lock-in" strategies.
MySQL - Cache Direct