Threads Programming Computers
Focuses on the implications of concurrency for software and its consequences for both programming languages and programmers. (Herb Sutter and James Larus)
Top: Computers: Programming: Threads
- The Problem with Threads - Argues that for concurrent programming to become mainstream, computers threads must be discarded as a programming model. computers Nondeterminism should be judiciously and carefully introduced where computers needed, and it should be explicit in programs.
- Application-Level Abstractions for Lock-Free Data Sharing - Describes lock-free data sharing, otherwise known as "wait-free data sharing" computers as an alternative to the use of locks.
- Protothreads - Very lightweight stackless threads; give linear code execution threads for event-driven systems, designed to use little memory; threads library is pure C, no platform-specific Assembly; usable threads with or without OS. Open source, BSD-type license.
- Real-world Concurrency - Describes some key principles that will help mastering the "black computers art" of writing multithreaded code.
- State Threads Library - Small application library for writing fast, highly scalable computers Internet programs programming on Unix-like platforms. Open source, MPL computers or GPL.
- Writing Lock-Free Code: A Corrected Queue - Explores lock-free code by focusing on creating a lock-free queue.
- The Free Lunch Is Over: A Fundamental Turn Toward Concurrency in Software - The biggest sea change in software development since the OO computers revolution is knocking at the door, and its name is computers Concurrency.
- Generic Synchronization Policies in C++ - Most uses of synchronization code in multi-threaded applications computers fall into computers a small number of high-level “usage computers patterns”, or what can computers be called generic synchronization computers policies (GSPs). This paper illustrates how computers the use computers of such GSPs simplify the writi
- Measuring Parallel Performance: Optimizing a Concurrent Queue - Shows different ways of how to write a fast, internally computers synchronized queue, one that callers can use without any explicit computers external locking or other synchronization, and compares the performance.
- It's (Not) All Been Done - Every decade or so there is a major revolution in the way software is developed. But, unlike the object and web revolutions, the concurrency revolution can be seen coming.
- Bibliography on Threads and Multithreading - Part of the Computer Science Bibliography Collection.
- Lock Options - Presents a solution to races and deadlocks based threads on a threads well-known deadlock-avoidance protocol and shows how threads it can be enforced threads by the compiler. It threads can be applied to programs in threads which the threads number of locks is fixed and known up threads threads front.
- Introduction to Priority Inversion - Gives an introduction to priority inversion and shows a pair of techniques to avoid them.
- Sharing Is the Root of All Contention - Sharing requires waiting and overhead, and is a natural enemy computers of scalability. This article focuses on one important case, namely computers mutable (writable) shared objects in memory, which are an inherent computers bottleneck to scalability on multicore systems.
- Priority Inheritance Protocols - Use of synchronization mechanisms like semaphores, monitors, and threads critical regions can lead to uncontrolled priority inversion.[PDF]
- Portable Thread Synchronization using C++ - Provides example C++ classes implementing a series of computers synchronization objects threads useful for building portable (Solaris and computers Win32) multithreaded applications.
- Use Lock Hierarchies to Avoid Deadlock - Explains how to use lock hierarchies to avoid programming deadlock by threads assigning each shared resource a level programming that corresponds to its threads architectural layer.
- Lock-Free Code: A False Sense of Security - Writing lock-free code can confound anyone-even expert programmers, programming as Herb programming shows in this article.
- Understanding Parallel Performance - Explains how to accurately analyze the real performance programming of parallel programming code and lists some basic considerations programming and common costs.
- Apply Critical Sections Consistently - Critical sections are the One True Tool for programming guaranteeing mutual threads exclusion on shared variables. Like most programming tools, these must be threads applied consistently, and with programming the intended meanings.
- It's Not Always Nice To Share - It isn\\'t just languages that have poor support programming for thread threads local storage, but operating systems too
- Software and the Concurrency Revolution - Focuses on the implications of concurrency for software and its consequences for both programming languages and programmers. (Herb Sutter and James Larus)
- Maximize Locality, Minimize Contention - Explains why in the concurrent world, locality is a first-order issue that trumps most other performance considerations. Now locality is no longer just about fitting well into cache and RAM, but to avoid scalability busters by keeping tightly coupled data
- comp.programming.threads FAQ - Frequently asked questions (by Bryan O'Sullivan).
- Sutter Speaks: A Conversation with the Concurrency Whisperer - Multi- and many-core chips are entering the mainstream computers — and programming one of the first software development computers authorities to take note programming was C++ expert Herb computers Sutter. Thanks to his practical insights, programming a new computers generation may grok concurrency sooner than previously though
- Use Threads Correctly = Isolation + Asynchronous Messages - Motivates and illustrate best practices for using threads - techniques programming that will make concurrent code easier to write correctly and programming to reason about with confidence.
- Foundations of Multithreaded, Parallel, and Distributed Programming - This book teaches the fundamental concepts of multithreaded, parallel and distributed computing. Emphasizes how to solve problems, with correctness the primary concern and performance an important, but secondary, concern. (Gregory R. Andrews)
- volatile - Multithreaded Programmer's Best Friend - Discusses the usage of the volatile keyword in programming multithreaded C++ threads programs.
- The Many Faces of Deadlock - Explains that deadlock can happen whenever there is a blocking computers (or waiting) cycle among concurrent tasks.
- Fundamental Concepts of Parallel Programming - Explains fundamental concepts for moving from a linear computers to a computers parallel programming model
- Multi-threaded Debugging Techniques - Describes a number of general purpose debugging techniques for multi-threaded programming applications.
- RT++ - Higher order threads for C++; tutorial and reference computers manual.
- Survey of Threads - Comparing Solaris, Linux, and Windows NT threads.
- A Thread Performance Comparison - Compares Windows NT and Solaris on a symmetric multiprocessor machine.
- Sutter Speaks: The Future of Concurrency - What does the future hold for concurrency? What will happen to the tools and techniques around concurrent programming? In part two of our series, concurrency guru Herb Sutter talks about these issues and what developers need to be reading to understand co
- Lock-free Interprocess Communication - Interprocess communication is an essential component of modern software engineering. threads Often, lock-free IPC is accomplished via special processor commands. This threads article propose a communication type that requires only atomic writing threads of processor word from pr
- Use Thread Pools Correctly: Keep Tasks Short and Nonblocking - A thread pool hides a lot of details, but to programming use it effectively some awareness of some things a pool programming does under the covers is needed to avoid inadvertently hitting programming performance and correctness pitfalls.
- Fundamentals of Multithreading - Technical article, covering Amdahl\\'s Law, latencies and bandwidth, programming on-chip multiprocessing, computers Jackson technology, and simultaneous multithreading. (SystemLogic.net)
- Concurrent Programming: Principles and Practice - This book provides an in-depth overview of underlying threads principles as threads well as practical techniques that can threads be used to design threads concurrent programs. (Greg Andrews)
- Deadlock: The Problem and a Solution - This article explains what deadlocks are and describes threads ways of threads circumventing deadlocks.
- The Pillars of Concurrency - This article makes the case that a consistent mental model is needed to talk about concurrency.
- What's New in Boost Threads? - The Boost.Thread library, which enables the use of multiple threads computers of execution with shared data in portable C++ code, has computers undergone some major changes.
- Concurrency with Erlang - To avoid problems with shared state working with computers multiple threads, Vinoski recommends a programming language like computers Erlang rather than C++ or Java.
MySQL - Cache Direct