Education Operating Systems Software
Goal: provide all students need to learn OS concepts: basic functions, kernel internals, microkernel architecture, to advanced distributed concepts, and to develop theirs, step by step.
Top: Computers: Software: Operating Systems: Education
- Top/Computers/Software/Operating Systems/Open Source
- Top/Computers/Software/Operating Systems/Research
- Nachos/486 - Port, extension of instructional OS, now stand-alone, protected operating systems mode, multithreaded, compiles in FreeBSD to run on operating systems i486+, can be relinked without recompile. Descriptions, report operating systems (HTML, PDF, PS), download. [Open Source]
- RCOS - Ron Chernich\\'s OS: computer learning tool animates operation software of multi-tasking operating systems OS; true OS, runs programs; object-oriented, software message passing kernel lets operating systems parts be replaced easily, software C++ coded, portable, runs on DOS, operating systems RCOSjava precursor.
- SunriseOS - Tiny operating system written in Assembly, via NASM, operating systems by operating systems ICT student. Meant for only fun and operating systems learning. [Open operating systems Source]
- NACHOS - Not Another Completely Heuristic Operating System: teaching OS software coded in education C++ subset, developed at UC Berkeley software for OS and Systems education Programming classes; now used software worldwide. Descriptions, FAQ, port and bug education lists, assignments, software downloads. [Open Source]
- Kaneton Microkernel - Goal: provide all students need to learn OS concepts: basic functions, kernel internals, microkernel architecture, to advanced distributed concepts, and to develop theirs, step by step.
- Amateur OS: AMOS - Scott Billingsley\\'s OS: realtime for DSP and amateur education radio, one education user/application, 16-bit real mode, for i386+, education FAT 12/16; no TSRs, education library of routines to education program into apps, minimal kernel support education (minimize interrupts), education written in NASM assembly and Sphnix
- AcadOS - Academic Operating System, goals: to expose students to software more modern operating systems ideas than older OSs, to basic software OS mechanisms, to OS operating systems and language design and software prototyping; old version, ideas for new operating systems microkernel version.
- KOS - Kid Operating System. Modular (run-time dynamic linking), preemptive operating systems multitasking, to have SVR4-like VM. Begun 1998 by operating systems young programmers, most of them students. Goal: not operating systems obtaining OS, but learning OS internals and functioning operating systems of x86 processors. Downloads
- Topsy - Teachable Operating System: tiny multithreaded messaging microkernel, in ANSI C; protected threads, memory managed, and thread/process control. From undergraduate course on concurrency, device programming, OS concepts. Descriptions, documents, theses, dow
- MikeOS - Tool to learn: how simple OSs work, OS education development, x86 assembly language; simple code, ample documentation, education often add new features on request. Open source.
MySQL - Cache Direct